Saturday, December 29, 2007

Prelude

In the hours before the Collegian crew takes the road, the shakes creep in. I look at myself in the mirror, and right there, floating around in my own eyes, is the undoubted uncertainty.

I think:
What the hell are you doing
You think you’re something original, something funny? Wow a college road trip to strange new territory who cares if it’s been done a million times before in books/movies/TV because you’re something special but really you’re not
You’re a stupid college student who has signed himself up for six or so days with four assholes who are just as dumb as you and if you really think you know what you’re in for then prepare to meet the unsmiling backhand of reality
They don’t take kindly to your kind out there they’ll string you up the moment you make your first slipup

But this is just my own stream-of-consciousness. I do my best not to pay it attention, because Iowa won’t be anything like that; it’ll be a fun, once-in-a-lifetime experience shared by four respectable, enthusiastic, hard working, young men who are determined to make the absolute most out of the trip.
This isn’t work, this is adventure! Stuff like this that pulled me into newswriting, and by god, I have to make the most of it. I’m going to write like crazy and take risks and branch out and have fun. It’s hard to imagine this trip being anything but awesome, something I’ll always remember no matter how tough things might get to be out there.

There’s little to report outside of this early anxiety. Frankly, there’s little time available to write, as I’ve put off packing up to the last minute. Everyone plans on bringing necessities: recorders, batteries, lots of pens and paper, music and other unmentionable objects that we simply cannot do without. Clothes and hygiene products are important too, if I plan on talking with anyone out there.
There’s also car preparation to consider. We’ll be traveling in my 2001 Sienna, and while it’s ready for roads both long and icy, there’s still the matter of cleaning it up, so my companions won’t think less of me. No one, not even college-aged adults, appreciate a filthy car.

We leave at 9:00 a.m. from Dave and Sean’s house, and then its on to I-25 with AC/DC blaring from the speakers. Hedge and I have plans to meet up with various politicos down in Council Bluffs tonight, but from there on, it looks like we will all be improvising.

I only hope I’ll get to see the Ron Paul blimp.
-E.M.

No comments: